Saturday, May 11, 2013

Happy Mother's Day!

As I reflect on Mother's Day and what my Momma means to me, I think about her characteristics that have meant so much to me over the years.
My Mom is one of the most selfless people I know.  Giving of her time to help others, praying for their needs or giving financially to lift their burden - time and time again I see her doing these things.  She has taught me to be sensitive, to love my family and make sure they know it and most importantly, she has taught me to love God!
Although my Mom has worked outside of the home most of my life, her domestic skills and organization in her home have been things I have tried to pick up on.  She can whip up a meal out of nothin'...I mean I would have 3x as many groceries on hand and still not feel like I could feed my family, but Mom apparently has the power to break bread and feed an army with that same amount of food! :)
I've teased her many times for being frugal but also admired the way she has taken care of her family's needs because of her counting pennies.  Mom can be nurturing, yet to the point when necessary.  To this day, she has no problem telling me if my shirt is too tight or I need to wear something more age appropriate! :)  That's just Mom for ya...keeping us all in line, no matter how old we are now.
The older I get, the more I see myself in her.  As a teenager, we would butt heads because of our likeness...now I try to embrace those things.  It's ok that I'm opinionated, yet guarded.  I'm also stubborn, yet have an ornery streak...yep, all of those things I see in my Mom.  I want to understand things and I ask questions when I don't...I speak up when I feel my point is valid and don't easily let people intimidate me.
I thank my Mom for being a strong woman and I respect my Dad for being able to handle that.  I hope I only continue to learn from her as I enter this new chapter in my life...that as a Mom, with her as my mentor.
Love you Mom!

Leah

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing the "verbal" roses with me. You are so kind and just the "pick me up" that I needed. You are a beautiful daughter inside and outside. I am truly blessed.
Love,
Mom

NatalieJo said...

Such a great post Leah and a beautiful tribute to Seriously!! one of the most wonderful women I know. I'll never forget on YOUR wedding day when I asked her if it would be OK if I called her mom :) she is truly a second mom to me!